Thursday, October 18, 2007

Ugly growths on my skin

So another medical blog . . . 

Today, since my awesome Blue Cross Power Health fund insurance will run out at the end of the year, I decided to go to the dermatologist to remove some ugly growths I get on my skin.  I've gotten them since I was in my junior/ senior year.  The first time I got it on my right fore-arm, I picked at it, and it would get bigger and bigger.  I finally got liquid nitrogen put on it in college, and it left a scar the size of a dime.  But it's flat, and it's gone.

Anyway , I have two of these lovely things growing on my face.  I found out it's called seborrheic keratosis, and to my surprise, it's an OLD PERSON condition!  The doctor was surprised I've had them since I was in my late teens!   I don't look forward to what my skin will look like when I become an OLD PERSON.   Although as I was venting out loud, Joanna reminded me that I already am an old person.

So the doctor anesthetized the two spots and scraped them off w/ a blade.  Sounds pretty gross.  Glad I didn't have to do it myself.  Didn't hurt a bit except for the pinch where the anesthesia was being injected.  

So today I am walking around w/ two lovely band-aids on my face.  There's something about band-aids on your face that makes you feel plain silly.   Well, I'll just wear a silly visor on my face, the kind that looks like a welder's mask, to look like I am intentionally being silly.

No comments: