Saturday, November 15, 2014

Object Permanence and Fun Childhood Memory

When I was growing up, I was really slow in understanding the concept of "object permanence", which led to some really bad littering, like even at the age of 6, I loved to throw trash out the bus window because "it just disappeared". But it also led to a very fond memory.
I remember this awesome game of hide and seek I had with my brothers when I was 6. I decided to hide in a wonderful spot behind the bundled up curtains of the shower, surely with my feet sticking out of the bottom. My brothers came into the bathroom and I heard them whispering to each other . The next thing I know, they were both saying,"Where's Elaine? How did she just disappear?" and reaching around the shower curtains, always missing me. Meanwhile, I was screeching loudly with delight with each of their questions and movements. This game lasted for 5 minutes until finally they left the bathroom in despair of not finding me, and I re-emerged happily to tell them where I was. They both acted so surprised and I was very happy to believe them. Even now, I like to believe that they never found me. However, as an adult I still try to hide behind curtains when I play hide and seek with my family, but unfortunately, James and my kids have made it clear that this hiding spot just isn't as magical as it used to be.

No comments: