Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Back to School Night at Millikin

Went to Jacob's Back to School night tonight.  James was able to come home from work early so it was nice to go together, especially since there are so many new faces at this school.  I sure miss Sutter where Jacob was attending for K and 1st grade.  Jacob & I were really happy there socially.  We had a lot of friends , and were very involved, and were very familiar with everything.  I never should have listened to my colleague who told me it doesn't hurt to just apply to Millikin.  Who would have known we would have had a lottery number of 3 after getting numbers in the 100's all the previous years!  My friends who don't know Sutter all say I'd be crazy for passing up the chance to go to the best school in California (according to the API scores).

Millikin definitely has a different culture than Sutter.  The nick-name "militant" seems quite appropriate.  But it does seem like they are doing a good job teaching the basics.  I wonder if Jacob is really better off there than at Sutter.  I'll give it a year and consider going back to Sutter if I am very unhappy there.

I was happy to finally meet some other parents from Jacob's classroom tonight.  For the past few weeks I've been introducing myself to other parents, but usually there was little reciprocated interest in talking to me because their child is in a different grade.  I was a little disappointed, and I should stop comparing with Sutter where I know all the parents (at least by face), but I have decided that I am sending Jacob to Millikin to learn and that's all I'll expect for this year.

I volunteer in the science lab tomorrow, so I am very excited about that . 

No comments: