Friday, February 25, 2011

Jacob's letter to the SCUSD nutrition coordinator

Dear Mr. Cordon,

My name is Jacob Yu, and I am the student council president of Sutter school. I was elected because I promised to look into bringing chocolate milk back. Many students voted for me because of this, so I'm writing this email to let you know why you should consider bringing it back.

I understand that you are concerned about diabetes and obesity, but I want to tell you why taking away chocolate milk is not the answer to this problem.

1. Many kids who aren't getting chocolate milk are not drinking any milk at all. Every day, my sister brings home 4 -5 cartons of milk that is unopened and untouched for my mom to drink. Even after that, there are still piles of cartons left alone on the table or thrown in the trash.

2. My sister chooses bag lunch at school because it comes with apple juice instead of milk.

Therefore, taking away chocolate milk means that kids are not getting the calcium, vitamin D, and protein that they need to grow to be strong and healthy. One in 5 kids are suffering from rickets because they don't get enough vitamin D. The protein in milk prevents obesity and calcium gives them strong bones. Apple juice is so much worse than chocolate milk because it has more sugar, and doesn't have any calcium, vitamin D or protein.

You might think that regular milk is a good substitute for chocolate milk, but you don't see how much is being wasted everyday. I know because I am at school, and I see that most kids are not drinking ANY milk any more. Please think about bringing chocolate milk back at least once in a while, like maybe once a week.

Sincerely,
Jacob

1 comment:

elaine_me said...

So the school district ended up bringing chocolate milk on Fridays to the entire school district. What a success!