Monday, February 7, 2011

Our Children's Library ... or OCD ?










Or, maybe I should have titled this post Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, because this weekend, I spent it looking at my teeth thinking they're not white enough, and searching all over the darn house for Joanna's deck of 100 Beannie Baby cards that just disappeared! They are still missing, and I have combed through every inch of our house, and managed to clean out the playroom in the process.

Anyway..... this post was supposed to showcase the result of me cleaning out the playroom but I decided to focus on the library part of the playroom, because I am obsessive about books. I just love collecting them, and it's really hard for me to get rid of them! In fact, I have a box of my kids' favorite board books in the garage. But I have donated many other books simply because they do not fit in our shelves anymore. The one thing that balances my compulsion to collect books is my obsessiveness to stay organized. Otherwise, I would seriously be a hoarder. But I hate when I can't find something, so I like to have everything in the right place. In fact, I have begged my kids to stay organized. Last week, I told them, "when the house is messy, my life feels like a mess! I feel like I might need to find something important one day, but I won't be able to find it!" My kids don't like to hear me saying that, though, and always respond with, "It isn't true!" I have since confessed to them that I shouldn't be saying that. My life is richly blessed by God, and I should not feel like my life is a mess.

Anyway, let me show you my kids' organized library. The only thing I need to now is to alphabetize within the categories, but I might not do that any time soon. Also, I noticed that Joanna knocked down some books while I was taking the picture, so many of the books are kind of leaning to the side in a very unattractive fashion. Anyway, here are the categories.

1. fiction/ fiction series/ periodicals
2. general nonfiction/ science non-fiction
3. anthologies
4. informational books
5. Chinese books
6. Princess/ Fairy books
7. devotional books


No comments: