Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Blast from Sep 9,2009: Summary of jobs

copied from a "chat" with Keith in response to Brocade being a "breath of fresh air compared to the other place" and he thought I wasn't comparing with LSI. My response was much longer than he expected.


Nothing can compare to LSI! The only problem at LSI was that every year or so, there was that constant fear of being laid off, or our project being cancelled and I was always wondering what I would be doing next. Also, and this isn't bad, but I had a breadth of experience there doing all kinds of different things like test patterns, scan, bist,dpm reduction, etc. But it was during that time at LSI that I really liked writing tests and writing scripts.

Mag* had great food, and great people, and I even enjoyed being"forced"to learn python. What I didn't like about Mag* was all that XML stuff and dealing with the "flow", and being forced to report to Steve * (name changed).

Zor* had great people, and Jer* was a great liar! They had a very good solution to our "Mag* Flow" problems, and initially Jer* had given me the assignment of doing a lot of creative work. I was able to take everything I had learned from Mag* and Zor* and put together something from scratch and then use it to do verification.The tight schedules made it feel like a sweatshop, but I felt good to feel like I was making good contributions not just to my teambut also outside of the group. I was able to help the validation people testtheir ROM code, I was able to help the software people run simulations. I was the person they went to when they couldn't get a special DSP MIPS instruction to work on the board. I built friendshipwith a lot of people too. I had a great commute! I got to use Specman. Gosh I'm starting to feel sad about what I left!
But what made it totally intolerable was that Jer* was such a micromanager! And it became more and more noticeable as time went on. And I started distrusting him a couple of months ago... And did I tell you that he once totally threw me under the bus in front of the director? (I think I spared you of that story). And then he started treating me like his puppet on top of all the gossiping and lying. And then I realized that he cared more about me making him look good then me doing good things for our company! And then he asked out Annie*...

Brocade doesn't have free food and the coffee is bad! And the commute stinks! But my manager and senior manager are so nice! They leave me alone. They trust me to do my work! And they do real work themselves. I think that is the biggest improvement over Zor*,because Jer* drove me out of there! Plus my manager gave me a really good task which I consider "fun", and which is a great way for me to get more familiar with networking products without me being in the critical path. And I get to learn system verilog. I think I will like learning system verilog as much as I liked learning python. So that's why , for now, I'm happy there.

3 comments:

elaine_me said...

So I neglected to mention 2 other (out of many more) things that got me very mad at Jer*.

1. He once told me " Your meeting went really bad,and you looked really bad. But say nothing of it. I will explain to Mar* that it was my fault". Well, the meeting went well, except that it was pretty obvious that he didn't know what was going on. And he lectured me for 2 hours about it. He also did *not* have any conversation with Mar*. He didn't need to because Mar* didn't have any trouble with my meeting. Jer* was LYING.

elaine_me said...

Another time, Jer is late to a meeting and blames it on me for not having my cell phone with me while I am interviewing another candidate. He then sends me an email saying " you must have your cell phone with you at all times, NO EXCEPTIONS".

elaine_me said...

He tells me that I could have a my vacation days if I cut it short. I cut it down to 4 days. It's to visit my dad! (which would have been my last visit of him with my family because he passed away in October. sob!).

Anyway, he ends up rejecting my vacation request twice!!! By the then I am so angered, I just tell him I was resigning. I was going to visit my dad whether I had Zor* vacation or not.