Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My three year career plan

When I first joined Zor* on 9/15/09, I remember that after being there 1 month, I was already saying to myself. "Three years! Just three more years of engineering, and I am going to quit to be a stay at home mom again. James, let's plan well financially for this. I just didn't like the feeling of stress and unhappiness at work at Zor*

Then, when I first realize that Jer* might be a liar, I say "just 2 years. Till June of 2012, so I can have a summer with my kids for once."

Then, I am "required" by my manager to carry a cell phone around at all times. I'm an engineer by the way. I'm not an obstetrician. My plan becomes "June 2011 is when I'll quit"

Then I start dreaming of being a math teacher at King's Academy. I go on the website and ask if the math teacher position is still open. Unfortunately, it is not. I ask if I can volunteer. The admin says that only way to volunteer is to be a substitute teacher. Due to the hectic schedule at Zor*, there's no way I could be a sub.


Then,I find out that my manager asks one of his underlings to date him. She's right out of college and 18 years younger than him. She decides very sadly that she needs to look for another job.

I realize that if she leaves,then I might as well leave,too! Besides, I couldn't tolerate working for him for even another week. Every email from him whether reasonable or not evokes great anger in me.

A week after Brocade receives my resume, I get the offer. I praise God for opening my way out.

I give my manager the 2 week notice. 4 days later, he quits too. My NCG friend's job is now saved! She doesn't have to look for another job! Yay!

I'm sorry to leave my friends at Zor*. After all, the reason I was leaving was because of my manager. But I go to Brocade, because I really feel like it is a better place to be in the long term.

I reset my career goals back to 2012, June. It's not that I don't like Brocade, because it's a great place to work, and I'm doing what I like. But, I miss my kids too much! James and I need to plan financially,.

No comments: